Old School Runescape (OSRS) is now available on the Google Play store for Android devices as of this morning with an iOS version launching at a later date. Just a heads up though for those looking to play OSRS on mobile – you’ll need a premium Jagex membership to get in (at least for now). Servers are also at capacity, so you may need to keep trying to get in.
With this version of Old School Runescape, Jagex has added the following notes:
- Only supported Android devices can download the application: all devices with Android Lollipop (5.0) or later.
- EXCEPT for: Google Pixel C, and Huawei P8 Lite. There are issues with the performance of Old School RuneScape on these devices.
- Membership is required to be able to log in to Old School RuneScape. Players without membership will be met with the message: The Old School RuneScape Android beta requires membership to play.
- There is an install limit which caps the number of downloads. Access is first-come first-served, but we’ll be expanding the number of installs regularly, as and when we’re confident in the stability of the test.
- Currently you cannot make payments (whether for membership or bonds) within the application, or using your Google Play balance. This is still under development.
- Players with access to the current closed test will continue to access Old School RuneScape.
- We haven’t yet decided whether we’ll make the open test accessible to players without membership. It’ll depend entirely on what we learn throughout the open beta!
- The Old School Mobile Testing Forum has been opened to all Members, and we strongly encourage you to use that to report bugs, provide feedback, and troubleshoot any other issues you might have!
- Join the discussion using #OSRSMobile on Twitter, or include ‘OSRS Mobile’ in your title on Reddit!
I’m hoping OSRS finds success on mobile, as its success could lead to other mobile game studios focusing on PC-like MMORPGs with depth instead of all the auto-play game’s we’ve seen on the platform.
Edit: Official press release came out on July 6th:
Friday 6th July 2018, Cambridge, UK – Access to Old School RuneScape Mobile’s new members’ beta is being made available to every single Old School RuneScape or RuneScape subscriber, as part of a staggered rollout. Following a limited test rollout yesterday, with the cap reached in just two hours, the members’ beta is today being opened up to enable a further 250,000 subscribers gain access.
Over the coming weeks, access will be scaled up to give every subscribed player the opportunity to continue their Old School RuneScape journey on Android devices while sat at home on the sofa, during the commute, in the canteen, and even in flight, leaving no excuse for XP waste.
On launch later this year, Old School RuneScape Mobile will become the first mainstream Western online RPG to deliver the complete MMO experience across both mobile and PC platforms, enabling players to seamlessly jump between devices and continue their adventure on either platform.
Further reading: Official post